Welcome. ♥

~ Petite Tomoyo ~

Frilly squishy Princess, forever a magical girl,
whimsical lost artist, mischievous but friendly witch...
Proud Lifestyle & Daily Lolita since the last decade.
Wishes she can live forever on tea and cake.
Keeping her eyes sparkling, making her soul blooming. *

Nice to meet you. ~
Welcome in my secret garden. ♥

Wednesday, August 23, 2017

How strangers react to my clothes and how I react to their reactions.

Hello my cutest frilly puppies! ~

Today I wanted to pick up a random subject from the 52 Lolita Challenge that I mentioned a while ago! These are more like subjects I want to blog about when I feel like it rather than real challenge. XD But it gives me some inspiration for subjects to write! ~

The subject that was drawn today was...

How strangers react to my clothes and how I react to their reactions.

I would say that I encountered a lot of different reactions from strangers in my 8 years of wearing the fashion! It depends a lot on what you are doing, where you are, with who you are and even your attitude also.

I've lived in a very small rural city in the deep forest for about half the time, when I've first started to wear the fashion, and I now live in a regular sized city (but still far away from the bigger cities in my province). I would say that the reactions are drastically different depending on which place I've been.

When I was in my hometown, most of the people would stare at me, but they would very seldom make comments about my clothes, positive or negative. If I caught them staring, they would look away instantly or simply smile kindly to me. A good majority of the very few comments I got about my clothes were positive. They didn't really ask any questions to me about my style or anything, I was mainly left alone by people the great majority of the time. Since it was a smaller city, people would get used to me wearing the fashion or would recognize me (since I tend to go at the same shops/restaurants in general) and I would say that when I was wearing the fashion out and about for about a year, people wouldn't even stare at me anymore. The situation wasn't different when I was in college also.

Now that I live here in Saguenay, the situation is quite a bit different. I get a lot of stares but even when I catch people staring at me, they won't stop staring or they make a "I don't know what I'm doing wrong" face. Most of the time when I go out and I am visibly alone, people will come and talk to me a little bit in a rude/confronting way and will always ask me questions about my clothes. They don't make a lot of comments and most of them are fairly positive, but they will almost always ask questions or try to start a conversation with me even if I am visibly busy/in a hurry. I've had people following me around stores trying to talk to me about my clothes while I said I wasn't interested in talking/answering questions and that I was busy... They also have no understanding of personal space; people often grab my clothes, accessories or hair and when I express that I don't want to be touched by strangers they always get so confused as why is it wrong. XD; I also get my picture taken sneakily a lot of the time, so much that I stopped caring about that now or I just cover my face so they understand I don't want my picture taken. These situations mostly happen when I am alone though, whenever I am with friends or my Prince these don't really happen or it happen waaaay less often. There are also places that are more "Lolita friendly", like artistic cafés, asian restaurants or alternative fashion boutiques. As for when I was in university, it was kinda different too. I was mostly left alone and people won't often come and talk to me and if they did, they would ask very polite questions or make very positive comments.

Of course even if I have less positive experiences of wearing the fashion here doesn't mean I'm going to stop, but of course I tend to chose more carefully the places I go to and the people I would hang out with so I feel safer. ~

Until next time my soft heart shaped cookies! :3

No comments:

Post a Comment